Saturday, August 12, 2006

We should all meet new people when we're naked

Two nights ago, I went to my first Onsen. This is a like a spa in America, but a little different. First of all, Onsens come from the days when people didn't have running water in their homes, and many people in rural Japan still don't have hot water. So, the japanese developed the tradition of bathing at a central location, like a spa. They don't typically have massages or special treatments or anything. It is just a big shower area with connected pools or varying temperatured water. Sometimes the pools have jets, or little waterfalls, or even suspension platforms so that you can “float” in the pool. Sometimes there are cold pools, as well, that are co-ed and you wear a bathing suit.

Anyway, back to my original point. I think we should use Onsens as a place to have first introductions. All of the barriers and pretense of clothing are gone. You get to see each other’s flaws, and you realize that everyone is just there to feel good. I suppose naked group bathing is the great equalizer.

So, here is how my first experience went. Remember – things work differently here than they do in America, so some aspects are a little strange.

When I walked into the Onsen, there was a counter staffed by two women. They were taking tickets. Where do you buy the tickets? Next to the counter was a vending machine. You pay the machine to get a ticket. Then, I took the ticket and handed it to one of the women, who then threw it away and gave me permission to continue on to the changing room. Why the ladies didn’t just take my money is a mystery. Anyway, the changing room isn’t really a changing room, because I didn’t change into anything. I just got naked. There was another guy who went with me. His name is Hugh, and his is from Melbourne, Australia. Hugh and I had never met, and after meeting him, I can tell that he is a really nice, genuine guy. But, I was a little nervous meeting a guy, and then bathing in front of him. Well, we walked into the changing room, and he just dropped trou. So, I did the same. We were talking and laughing, and trying to ignore the fact that we were the center of attention (being gaijin and all).

Then we proceeded to the shower area. This is where we sat on a tiny bucket and washed ourselves. It’s pretty cool, because each guy gets his own “station”. The station consists of a bucket for sitting, a shallow pan for filling with water and pouring over oneself, a mirror, some body wash and shampoo, and a dual shower hose/faucet thingy. We washed for a good 15 minutes, getting really squeaky clean. You are not supposed to enter the bathing pools without first removing every stitch of dirt/impurity from you body. The showers are for washing, the pools are for soaking – strictly!

We proceeded to the pools to relax. The water was hot, and there were a half dozen dudes just sitting around naked. Most people weren’t talking, but a few were. Hugh and I got to know each other really well. Then, we ran into another guy, Roger, who is a JET in Mitoya. We all ended up going to the hot bath and the roof. We talked about Japan and home and girls and teaching. I must say, it was fun. I believe that I will be making the Onsen a regular stop in my weekly routine.

Well, I’m off. If I get a chance tonight. I’ll post another story or two. We’ll see. Until then, please take care, and may you all remain healthy and happy.

Oyasumi nasai,
Maikeru
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home