Tuesday, August 15, 2006

My mother is a cat...

This week and next week, I'm in an intensive Japanese language training. I thought it sounded like fun a few weeks ago, so I signed up. It's fun and interesting, but frankly, it's also very hard. Somehow, I tested out of the remedial Japanese for people who don't know any. Yesterday (the first day of class), we were administered a test for Japanese proficiency. It asked the basics, like "Translate Good afternoon" (Konnichiwa gozaimasu), "Write out 192" (hyaku kyuju ni), and "Before eating, you say..." (Itedakimasu). These are all things that I thought anyone could pick up in the first week if they just tried a little bit. Anyway, apparently my Japanese was good enough after 1 week of study to land me a choice spot in the advanced group. During the opening activites yesterday, we had to name our group. There are six of us, so I suggested "The Magnificent Seven"! When we had to explain our choice of names to the school, I said that we were six... with the samurai spirit as a ghost member. :-)

So, today, being the second day, and me, being the only person in class who hasn't studied Japanese before, I felt as though I was drowning in a sea of vocabulary. I suppose this is just what an 'intensive language course' is all about. But, it doesn't change the fact that I feel overwhelmed.

This afternoon, we had to bring pictures of our family and hometown to discuss (in Japanese of course) with the other students in class. When it was my turn, I stood somewhat sheepishly in front of the classroom. I held up a picture of Kristy and Trent at their wedding. Everyone asked me questions (in Japanese) and I answered with only a modicum of success (in Japanese). Next, I held up a picture of Emma, Kristy's dog. This also went well. Next, I held up a picture of Tigger, my Mother's cat. I said "Kore wa watashi no haha nekku desu." What I should have said was "Kore wa watashi no haha NO nekku desu." The difference is "My mother is a cat" versus "This is my mother's cat." Man, this language can be subtle! Of course, there are examples of doing the same kinds of things in English, but when your on this end trying to fit in to someone else's language/culture, it sure seems a lot harder than the way it looks from the other end.

For now, I will say "Arigato Gozaimasu to Oyasumi nasai," (Thank you and good night)
Much Love,
Maikeru
^_^

1 Comments:

At 5:14 AM, Blogger The Karachi Kid said...

hey dude,
nothing since a couple of days... guess your getting busy.... Send me your cell and home numbers for Japan.
Kamran

 

Post a Comment

<< Home