Saturday, August 26, 2006

Welcome Back the Dead

First, let me apologize for not having written in so long, but I've been at an intensive language course in Matsue, the "big city". When I say big city, please keep this in perspective. There are about 150 - 200 thousand people who live there. Firstly, this is nothing for Japan. Secondly, this only about a tenth of the size of Philadelphia. But, it's quite large compared the 700 people that live in my town.

The language course went well, but it fried me. Hundreds of vocabulary words and dozens of grammar rules in 10 days will do that to a guy! We even had to give a speech in Japanese yesterday. A sensei complimented me on my pronunciation and grammar, but said that I need to work on my rhythym. Yeah, tell me something I don't know!!! But, she was right, and I thanked her for the compliment.

During our stay in Matsue, they held an Obon festival. This is the Buddhist festival that welcomes the dead back to Earth. The festival in Matsue takes place at the mouth of a large lake called Lake Shinji. I rode my bike to a bridge that crosses the canal, locked it up and started to explore. At the base of the bridge, I heard a deep ominous chanting. Upon investigation, the sound was revealed to be a group of Buddhist priests chanting and performing the welcome ritual. They walked in a circle until they finished the chant. Then they sat down and finished the rites.

In the lake, several boats released lanterns with the names of loved ones written on the sides in kanji. Many of the lanterns turned over from the stiff breeze, but many more stayed lit for several hours. The sunset was breathtaking and the breeze was a welcome relief from the days opressive heat. Combined, the evening became an already cherished memory.

1 Comments:

At 4:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike;

Your narrative is really enjoyable to read. You should keep the notes and write a book "My Classroom" or something like that!

I was wondering if you had any interst in setting up a chat between your students and a 6th grade class in the US (my dauhgter's) It would be informal and hopfully a learning experience for both classes!!

Best wishes for Happy Thanksgiving!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home