Friday, March 09, 2007

Future Plans

I've gotten out of this experience what I wanted and have made some large, if not mundane, realizations about my life. Firstly, I've discovered that I really like kids. Not all the time, mind you, but enough that there should be children of my own in my life (adopted or otherwise).

Secondly, Philly is my home. No matter how far I travel or where I go, I'm still an American. It's not more apparent than here in Japan. The sense of "otherness" here is profound. Basically, the only opportunities for foreigners here are English teacher or undesirable jobs. It's not too unlike America, where you must speak English fluently to get a decent job. English teaching is a good job in Japan, but there is nowhere for it to grow. On JET, the longest we can stay is 5 years. So, that leaves one with a quandary when the term is over. What now? I don't think I'll wait any longer to figure that out. For me, it's going home. In Philadelphia, I know who to talk to, where to go, where to live, and what social circles to break into. My family and friends are there and I have a network of people who care about me and who I care about in return. In Philly, I can grow and make something of myself. In Philly, I can become politically active and be taken seriously. In Philly, I can find other people that I understand. (are you hearing tunes from West Side Story yet?) This isn't to say that I wouldn't find people somewhere else, but living here in Tombara, I don't even know where to meet such people. At least in Philadelphia I know how to seek out like-minded individuals. I don't think there are many here in Japan, or at least not anywhere that I might live and make a difference.

I know that the above points are not Earth shattering or novel or even interesting. It's just that they have never been so clearly formulated in my head before. Perhaps I thought "sure, I want kids someday." But it never turned into something that I wanted to take action on. Same thing with Philly. I was enamored with the idea that there was some other place that I belonged, because it really didn't feel like Philly. After traveling many places in the world, it's become quite apparent where I belong. My best chances for happiness are making my mark in Philadelphia.

As far as teaching back in the states goes, I don't think I will pursue it. I kicked around the idea for several months, but in the end thought better of it. I LOVE my Japanese kids, but I don't know if I would like American kids as much. Working with young minds is tough and takes a certain disposition. I'm a little spoiled with really good students and an easy work atmosphere. Not everyone here has such a sweet deal as me. But then again, not everyone here is forced to live HOURS from anything. I suppose it's a bit of a trade-off. I have to live in the middle of nowhere, but my students will be really wonderful and innocent and polite. In the end, I've decided to start a business with my friend Jeff. He's a great guy who does the same kind of work that I do. We're going to start a corporation for IT consulting and hire some really good talent. The business model is slowly taking shape and the excitement is definitely building.

So, there you have it. I'll keep putting up interesting stories as they happen to me. In the meantime, stay safe, stay warm, stay healthy and happy. But, above all, stay true.

Michael
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home