Monday, December 18, 2006

Which Title: "Should I See the Doctor?" or "A Big Ass Shot"

I woke up this morning to find myself pretty sick. Work was still an option because it was just a foggy head and a sore throat, but had potential to get worse. Back home in America, I would normally stay home and rest so that I could get better faster. All one needs to do, normally, is pick up the phone and make a few calls, then stay at home and eat soup all day. In Japan, things are, of course, a little different.

Here, under my current contract, I have no set number of sick days. I can take as many as I need. There has been some debate about this, but at worst, the contract offers a minimum of 20 days! That's a lot of sick time. Because there is no limit, people are expected not to abuse the system. Even though there is no provision for it in the contract, there is an understanding that if one calls out sick from work, then he/she must be sick enough to require a doctor. Since you're "supposed" to see a doctor when calling out, the doctor gives you a "note" to take to your boss excusing you from work for the day. This is all fine, but I'm an adult and have been sick enough to know when I'm too sick for work, when I should stay home and rest, what meds to take, what to eat, and when a doctor is necessary. Doctors in Japan are paid for by our public health care system, so it's not a matter of money. I just don't think that, at 30 years old, I should have to get a doctor's note for being absent. Sure, if I was out for a week or a month, I probably need some proof that I still deserve a paycheck, but not if I have a head cold for the afternoon or one day. If I FEEL sick with a cold, there is little to nothing that the doctor can determine just by looking at me.

Here is the real rub. Going to the doctor is not a pleasurable experience in Japan. It's not that great in America, either, but doctors compete for business there, so there is some desire to make the ordeal as painless as possible for the patient. Here in Japan, seeing the doctor means going to the hospital. You have to wait there for long periods of time before seeing the doctor. Then, there is a really good chance that he'll give you medicine. Well, at least medicine sounds good, right? Not unless you like the worst kind of medicine there is!

Now for a short aside... Most medicines are not legal in Japan. Pain medicines are mostly banned. There are very few over-the-counter drugs available that are worth a darn. Most of them are similar to the ones back home, but about 1/10th as effective. The Japanese like things to be bland. They don't like a lot of color, evidenced by every Japanese home I have had the pleasure of entering. They don't like their food to have too much flavor. Nearly all Japanese food is mild and easy on the palate. (I won't say anything about textures, however.) Finally, they don't like their medicines to be too strong. Don't know why.

So, when you're at the doctor, this is your chance to get some real medicine. It works. But, why is it the worst kind you ask? Because it comes in two forms. It's either an anal suppository, which I don't even want to think about, or a huge shot administered through a Macdonald's Straw to the buttocks (ie. "A Big Ass Shot"). Given these two LOVELY options, I figured it was best for me to come to work today. No need to get the people at school all worked up and worried out me, right? No need to bother the busy doctors with my petty problems. I can just go to work and shrug it off. ;-)

All I hope for is that by coming to work I haven't made myself sicker and eventually REQUIRE the doctors services. It would be such a shame to bother him.

Sickly Yours,
Maikeru
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home