Monday, December 18, 2006

The First Snow

We had a dusting of wet snow two weeks ago, which was fun, but since I was standing in it, I didn't find it as enjoyable as I otherwise might have. Yesterday, however, I woke up, looked outside, and was surprised to find the entire town covered in a thin blanket of white. Large snowflakes fell past the windows and the bamboo swayed in the wind like giant white feather dusters. The snow kept falling all day long and right through the night. Getting out and driving was a bit hazardous, but otherwise there is nothing negative about the first snowfall of the season. It finally looks like Winter!

Usually in my blog I put some twist on the story or reveal something unfortunate or funny. This one, however, is just about the beauty of the first snowfall.

For some, the snow heralds different feelings. My JTE (Japanese Teacher of English) said that she didn't sleep well last night. I asked her why. She explained to me that this was her first year at this school and had never driven in the mountain snow before. Where she lives down near the coast, they don't see much snow and it disappears quickly. I feel badly for her and worry about the stress that the snow is causing her. Anyway, she'll have to get used to it. Last year, Tombara received almost 6 feet of snow in one monster snowfall. This year might not be as bad, but we have prepare the worst.

Stay warm,
Maikeru
:-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home