Monday, September 18, 2006

The Big Brother Box

Well, if you've been following the World Weather Report you may have noticed that we're just wrapping up a Typhoon here in Shimane-ken. I haven't followed the news about how bad it was on the coast, but up here it wasn't really that bad. I mentioned that it probably wouldn't be that bad up in the mountains, but as my friend Janelle aptly pointed out, "the clouds are ABOVE the mountains!" In fact, it was just a little windy and it's been raining for a couple of days.

Yesterday, I was over at my friends' house, Trevor and Signe's, and we were playing Magic the Gathering during the early part of the Typhoon. Mid-point through the game, a bell rings in the house. At first, I couldn't quite tell where it came from. Then, a voice in Japanese comes over a loudspeaker and made an announcement. The voice said that a Typhoon was coming and the roads were dangerous. "Do not leave your house. Stay indoors. The weather is dangerous outside." Then, the bell tolled again and the announcement was finished.

The voice came from a box on the wall with a big speaker. Of course, now I'm completely miffed and ask what was going on! Trevor explains that when there are emergencies, the local government makes announcements over the "Big Brother" box. It's fascinating... and SCARY... at the same time. Every house has one - even mine. :-)

3 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger The Molloy's said...

Michael-sen, first off what happened with the "health check"? We were riveted and need to know now! Also, we happen to have become experts in stools these days and were hoping to help out.

Second off, the big brother box is simply the most frightening thing I've ever heard of in a modern industrial economy. Tell us more.

Third off and most importantly...did you win at poker (for wizards)?

 
At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would have been much worse if the Big Brother Box said, "Attention Nerds Playing Magic. Do Not Leave Your House. There Is A Typhoon Coming. Also, Sun Will Cause Cancer To Your Pale Pasty White Skin. You're Probably Better Off Never Goin Outside."

Now that would be some Big Brother action...

PS-I concer with Marty - did you win? Did they have insane Japanese cards, like Merfolk Elven Folk Ninja in Sailor Outfit (2 blue mana, tap to lift skirt and tap opponent's card)

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Mangos said...

To answer your question, I haven’t played with any Japanese Magic cards because they are too difficult to read. Plus, I haven’t actually been able to find any in store. This ain’t surprising because I have to drive almost an hour just to get a book/video store. So, my neighbor and I just ordered 4 theme decks and a box of boosters. Can’t wait!

Also, I like your card idea. I’m thinking about making some new cards like “Naoko-chan: Creature – Zombie 8th Grader”. It costs 8 Black, is a 9/1 with “Tap, this Zombie mumbles and giggles until all attacking creatures give up and leave the room. Kicker – Pay 1 White + 1 Red, Naoko-chan lifts skirt. Gain 3 life, lose a turn.”

 

Post a Comment

<< Home